Center for Risk and Reliability
Dr. Reilly is a civil engineer specializing in risk and resilience of infrastructure systems. She is particularly interested in characterizing the interplay between the resilience of infrastructure and individual decision-making. Recent projects include examination of investment decisions by managers of interdependent infrastructure systems and movement of hazardous materials under threat of terrorism.
Prior to her appointment at UMCP, Dr. Reilly was a research fellow in the Department of Industrial and Operations Engineering at the University of Michigan and a post-doctoral research associate in the Department of Geography and Environmental Engineering at Johns Hopkins University. In addition, Dr. Reilly was a research analyst for the Homeland Security Studies and Analysis Institute, a federally-funded research and development center in support of the Department of Homeland Security, in Arlington, VA.
Dr. Reilly holds a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from Cornell University, in Ithaca, NY. She holds an M.S. in Civil Engineering, also from Cornell University, and a B.S. in Civil Engineering from Johns Hopkins University. She is a member of the Society for Risk Analysis, INFORMS Decision Analysis Society, and the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Hazard risk assessments
- Infrastructure system performance and protection
- FEMA’s Public Assistance Program and its role in community recovery
- Assessing resilience of Maryland state parks
- Adaptation of municipal infrastructure under sea level rise
- ENCE 302 Probability and Statistics for Civil Engineers
- ENCE 688k Risk and Resilience of Infrastructure Systems and Services
- Reilly, A., S. Guikema, L. Zhu, T. Igusa. (2017) “Evolution of vulnerability of communities facing repeated hazards.” PLOS ONE, 12(9): e0182719. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0182719
- Reilly, A., G. Tonn, C. Zhai, and S. Guikema. (2017) “Hurricanes and Power System Reliability – The Effects of Individual Decisions and System-Level Hardening.” Proceedings of the IEEE. 105(7): 1429 – 1442. DOI: 10.1109/JPROC.2017.2689720
- Reilly, A., A. Staid, M. Gao, and S. Guikema. (2016) “Computer parallelization for risk analysis: A tutorial.” Risk Analysis. 36(10): 1844-1854. DOI: 10.1111/risa.12565
- Reilly, A., R. Davidson, L. Nozick, T. Chen, and S. Guikema. (2016) “Using data envelopment analysis to evaluate post-hurricane electric-power restoration performance.” Reliability Engineering and System Safety. 152: 197-204. DOI: DOI:10.1016/j.ress.2016.03.007
- Reilly, A., A. Samuel, and S. Guikema. (2015) “Gaming the ‘system’: Decision making by interdependent critical infrastructure.” Decision Analysis. 12(4): 155-172. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1287/deca.2015.0318