The mission of the department is threefold:
- Provide a high quality, challenging education that encompasses breadth and depth; and prepare graduates to be proficient in both analysis and synthesis aspects of civil engineering design
- Maintain a strong research program that is recognized for excellence in major areas of civil and environmental engineering
- Provide service to the University, the civil engineering profession, and the community at large
The department provides an educational program of basic and specialized engineering knowledge necessary for its graduates to be proficient in recognized specialties of civil engineering. This preparation provides graduates with the tools needed for successful practice in the period following graduation. In addition to general and technical education, the educational program stresses professional and ethical responsibilities, an awareness of societal issues, and the need for life-long learning.
The department contributes to the advancement of knowledge through research on important engineering problems. The research results are communicated through recognized channels of knowledge dissemination.
The department serves the needs of the community by emphasizing global and societal issues. The department addresses these issues through University and professional channels and contributes to their solutions.
Program Educational Objectives
The department has established the following specific program educational objectives:
- To understand, apply and develop fundamental knowledge in science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- To attain advanced qualification in both specialization and breadth
- To understand and apply business sensitive criteria in meeting professional responsibilities
- To incorporate societal sensitive criteria into professional decisions
- To develop forward-thinking attitudes that enhance lifelong learning, communication and exemplary practice
a. An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
b. An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
c. An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
d. An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
e. An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problem
f. An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
g. An ability to communicate effectively
h. The global education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
i. A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
j. A knowledge of contemporary issues
k. An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practices
Additional outcomes as per ASCE criteria are:
Breadth in civil engineering areas, technical specialization, project management, public policy, business and public administration, leadership, attitudes.