This accelerated program allows outstanding student to earn both a B.S. and M.S., for a total of 146 credit hours, in five years of study. Participating seniors complete two graduate-level courses, the credits for which satisfy both the B.S. tech elective requirements and count towards an M.S. 

To qualify for the combined B.S./M.S. program, students must: 

  • Currently be enrolled in a UMD undergraduate program
  • Have completed at least two semesters of CEE undergraduate work at the College Park campus
  • Have at least a 3.50 GPA at the time of admissions
  • Have no more than 24 credits of ENCE courses ramining for the B.S. degree
  • Have no more than 6 credits of general education requirements remaining for the B.S. degree
Richard McCuen

Richard McCuen

Professor, Ben Dyer Chair in Civil Engineering
1170 Glenn. L. Martin Hall, College Park, MD 20742




The sooner the better. Enrolling earlier ensures the greatest flexibility in course selection and scheduling. To gain the most benefit, you should plan your schedule to accommodate the program in your third year.

You can apply for the program by completing the online application. During your final semester in the B.S. program you must also request for credits to be transferred to the M.S. program. To do so, submit the Graduate School transfer form to the student advisors in 0147C Glenn L. Martin Hall. 

Yes, acceptance into the two programs is administratively separate. You must also apply for the graduate program in a timely manner in order to be considered for financial aid.

You will need approval from a faculty member from the technical specialty that you are selecting. This faculty member will provide guidance in selecting the two graduate courses to use as those that will be part of both your undergraduate and graduate programs. Therefore, you may want to consider selecting someone who you might also want as a research advisor. 

If you do not know who on the faculty to seek approval from, contact the appropriate technical division leader: 

A GRE score is not needed to apply to the combined B.S./M.S. program. However, a score will be required for admission to the graduate school. You must take the exam before applying for admission to the M.S. portion of the combined program. 

Only 600-level or above courses can be counted toward both degrees. 

Not quite. You need special permission to register for graduate classes. Your advisor can give this permission and arrange for registration through Mr. Al Santos.

Once these classes have been approved, you must register immediately. If you delay, then the clearance will be dropped.

Students must also complete this form for every graduate course they take while still an undergraduate.  

No, the graduate courses replace the free elective slots in the undergraduate program. They cannot be used to replace the in-track core courses or the out-of-track electives.

 In some cases. They must be approved by your advisor as suitable electives for your graduate program. Approval must be granted prior to taking the courses.

Being accepted into the combined program does not obligate you to complete all of the requirements of an M.S. degree. Students who do not continue on will recieve a B.S. 

While it is not absolutely necessary, it will be to your benefit to begin the research as soon as possible.