- Ph.D. Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland College Park, 2012
- M.S. Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland College Park, 2008
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Maryland College Park, 2005
- Engineering education research
- Integration of socio-technical issues in technical undergraduate curriculum
- Mercury contamination
- Amazon deforestation and reforestation
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers
- Fate and transformation of environmental pollutants
- Sustainable use of biosolids as a fertilizer
- ENCE215 – Engineering for Sustainability (Spring ’15, ’16, ’17, '18, '19, '20; Fall ’15, ’16, ’17, ‘18, '19)
- ENCE411 – Environmental Engineering Science (Spring ’16, ’17, ‘18, '19)
- ENCE489G – Sustainability and Infrastructure Study Abroad Athens, Greece (Spring ’18)
- ENME407 – “The Land of Fire and Ice”: Sustainability, Climate Change, and Renewable Energy Systems (Summer ’18, '19)
- ENCE 489 – Special Topics (Summer ’16, Spring ’17)
- ENCE310 – Introduction to Environmental Engineering (Fall ’14, Spring '20)
Andrade, N. A. “Identifying students’ misconceptions with formative assessments” American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) 2019 Annual Conference & Exposition, Tampa, Florida.
Andrade, N. A. and Tomblin, D. “What are they talking about? Depth of engineering student socio-technical thinking in a technical engineering course” American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) 2019 Annual Conference & Exposition, Tampa, Florida.
Andrade, N. A. and Tomblin, D. “Engineering and Sustainability: The Challenge of Integrating Social and Ethical Issues into a Technical Course” American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) 2018 Annual Conference & Exposition, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Sanders, J. P., Andrade, N. A., Menzie, C. A., Amos, C. B., Gilmour, C. C., Bell, J. T., Henry, E. A., Brown, S. S., Ghosh, U. 2018 “Persistent reductions in the bioavailability of PCBs at a tidally inundated Phragmites australis marsh amended with activated carbon.” Environ Toxicol Chem. 37(9):2496-2505. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.4186.
Sanders, J. P., Andrade, N. A., Ghosh, U. 2018 “Evaluation of passive sampling polymers and non-equilibrium adjustment methods in a multi-year surveillance of sediment pore water PCBs.” Environ Toxicol Chem. 37(9):2487-2495. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.4223.
Wang, X., Andrade, N. A., Shekarchi, J., Fischer, S. J., Torrents, A., Ramirez, M. 2018 “Full scale study of class A biosolids produced by thermal hydrolysis pretreatment and anaerobic digestion.” Waste Management 78: 43:50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2018.05.026.
Andrade, N. A., McConnell, L.L., Anderson, O. M., Torrents, A., Ramirez, M. 2017 “Polybrominated diphenyl ethers: residence time in soils receiving biosolids application.” Environmental Pollution, 222, 412-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2016.12.014.
Centofanti, T., McConnell, L. L., Chaney, R. L., Beyer, N. W., Andrade, N. A., Hapeman, C. J., Torrents, A., Nguyen, A., Anderson, M. O., Novak, J. M., Jackson, D. 2016 “Organic amendments for risk mitigation of organochlorine pesticide residues in old orchard soils.” Environmental Pollution, 210, 182-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2015.11.039.
Andrade, N. A., Lozano, N., McConnell, L. L., Torrents, A., Rice, C. P., Ramirez, M. 2015 “Long-term trends of PBDEs, triclosan, and triclocarban in biosolids from a wastewater treatment plant in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US.” Journal of Hazardous Materials, 282, 68-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2014.09.028.
Andrade, N. A., Centofanti, T., McConnell, L. L., Hapeman, C. J., Torrents, A., Nguyen, A., Beyer, W. N., Chaney, R. L., Novak, J. M., Anderson, M. O., Cantrell, K. B. 2014 “Utilizing thin-film solid-phase extraction to assess the effect of organic carbon amendments on the bioavailability of DDT and dieldrin to earthworms.” Environ. Pollut. 185, 307-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2013.11.008.
Lozano, N., Andrade, N. A., Deng, D., Torrents, A., Rice, C. P., McConnell, L., Ramirez, M., Millner, P. D. 2014 “Fate of microconstituents in biosolids composted in an aerated silage bag.” Environmental Science and Health, Part A: Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering 49, 720-730. https://doi.org/10.1080/10934529.2014.865461.
Andrade, N. A., McConnell, L. L., Hapeman, C. J., Torrents, A. 2013 “Utilizing polymer-coated vials to illustrate the fugacity and bioavailability of chlorinated pesticide residues in contaminated soils.” J. Chem. Edu. 90, 479-482. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed300418e.
Andrade, N. A., McConnell, L. L., Torrents, A., Ramirez, M. 2010 “Persistence of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in agricultural soils after biosolids applications.” J. Agric. Food Chem. 58, 3077-3084. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9034496.