Pack joins Campus Visualization Partnership at UMD
Center for Advanced Transportation Technology (CATT) Lab director, Michael Pack is a part of a new Campus Visualization Partnership at the University of Maryland. As part of this partnership, the University of Maryland is putting forth a lecture series on the use of visualization in research and education. These lectures are intended to raise the awareness of current campus activities and to stimulate new initiatives in scientific, information, medical, and other visualizations. The goal of the series is to make the University of Maryland, College Park a national role model for support and use of visualization to improve scholarship and teaching. The kickoff event took place on February 4, 2014 and included presentations by:
• Ben Shneiderman, Distinguished University Professor, Department of Computer Science
• Amitabh Varshney, Professor, Department of Computer Science and Director of UMIACS
• Fran LoPresti, Deputy CIO, Division of Information Technology
This introductory lecture described how the university is expanding its leadership in the rapidly growing fields of scientific, information, medical, and other visualizations. Fran LoPresti described the campus efforts in providing IT Abundance under the university’s IT strategic plan, which includes initiatives on visualization, high-performance computing, and more. She also announced the Campus Visualization Partnership Seed Grant Program to support broader use of visualization across the disciplines. Amitabh Varshney covered scientific visualization projects on campus, ongoing activity within UMIACS, and work being performed within his own Graphics and Visual Informatics Lab. Ben Shneiderman covered information visualization projects on campus and demonstrate Human-Computer Interaction Lab efforts, especially in medical informatics. Watch the lecture here: Campus Visualization Partnership Lecture One.
Future lectures in the series are as follows:
• February 12, Wednesday Noon: Martin Wattenberg (Google)
• February 18, Tuesday Noon: Buck-Coleman, Gregory, Mundy, Pack (UMCP)
• March 5, Wednesday 4 p.m.: Felice Frankel (MIT) (arranged by ISR)
• March 11, Tuesday Noon: Eric Newburger (U.S. Census Bureau)
• April 1, Tuesday Noon: Matt Ericson (New York Times)
• April 15, Tuesday Noon: Manuel Lima (Author and Designer)
• April 22, Tuesday Noon: Lucy Nowell (U.S. Dept. of Energy)
This seminar series is sponsored in part by Google and Yahoo! Inc.
Published February 24, 2014