Structural Engineering Laboratory
Ph.D. in Applied Mechanics, California Institute of Technology, 2001
M.S. in Civil Engineering (Structures), Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), 1996
B.S. in Civil Engineering (Structures), Tongji University (Shanghai, China), 1993
Honors and Awards
Graduate Research Board Award, University of Maryland, 2008
Best Paper Award, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 2006
NSF CAREER Award, 2006
- Self-centering modular panels and self-centering eccentrically braced frames
- Resilience modeling of civil infrastructures with high performance
- Bridge condition assessment and condition deterioration modeling
- Fatigue of welded steel structures and numerical modeling of metal fatigue life and ultra-low-cycle fatigue induced fracture
- Nonlinear finite element simulation of steel structures and seismic fuses (hysteretic damper) subject to ductile fracture
Dr. Zhang research program has received external funding support totaling $6.24 million from diverse sources including the National Science Foundation (11 competitively awarded NSF grants in total), U.S. Department of Transportation and Federal Highway Administration, and other sponsoring agencies.
- ENCE444 Experimental Methods in Geotechnical and Structural Engineering
- ENCE201 Information Processing II
- ENCE688A Sensing and Systems Control
- ENCE353 Introduction to Structural Analysis
- ENES220 Mechanics of Materials
- ENCE715 Earthquake Engineering
- ENCE688W Experimental Methods in Structural Engineering
- ENCE613 Structural Dynamics
Selected recent publications (see my google scholar page for more publications):
- Liu, H. and Zhang, Y. (2019). "Deep learning-based brace damage detection for concentrically braced frame structures under seismic loadings.” Advances in Structural Engineering, https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433219859389.
- Keivan, A. and Zhang, Y. (2019). “Seismic performance evaluation of self-centering K-type and D-type steel eccentrically braced frame systems,” Engineering Structures, 184: 301-317.
- Liu, H. and Zhang, Y. (2019). “Image-driven structural steel damage condition assessment method using deep learning algorithm.” Measurement,133: 168-181.
- Keivan, A. and Zhang, Y. (2019). “Nonlinear seismic performance of Y-type self-centering steel eccentrically braced frame buildings,” Engineering Structures, 179(15): 448-459.
- Tong, L, Zhang, Y, Zhou X, Keivan A, Li R. (2019). “Experimental and analytical investigation of D-type self-centering steel eccentrically braced frames with replaceable hysteretic damper,” ASCE J Structural Engrg, 145(1): 04018229.
- Zhang, Y. and Liu, H. (2019). “Experimental study of vibration mitigation of mast arm signal structures with particle-thrust damping based tuned mass damper.” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 18(1): 219-231.
- Zhang, Y., Ayyub, B., & Huang, H. (2018). "Enhancing Civil Infrastructure Resilience with Structural Health Monitoring." Ch.1 in Resilience Engineering for Urban Tunnels, ASCE.
- Tong, L., Zhang, Y., Zhang, L., Liu, H., Zhang, Z., and Li, R. (2018). “Ductility and energy dissipation behavior of G20Mn5QT cast steel shear link beams under cyclic loading.” Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 149, 64-77.
- Wang, Z., Zhang, Y., Wang, Y., Du, X. and Yuan, H. (2018). “Numerical study on fatigue behavior of tubular joints for signal support structures,” J. Constructional Steel Research, 143: 1-10.
- Wang, W., Kong J., Zhang, Y., Chu G. and Chen, Y. (2017). “Seismic behavior of self-centering modular panel with slit steel plate shear walls: experimental testing,” ASCE J. Structural Engrg., 144(1).
- Wang, W., Du, X., Zhang, Y. and Chen, Y. (2017). “Experimental Investigation of beam-through steel frames with self-centering modular panels,” ASCE J. Structural Engrg., 143(5).
- Xu, X., Zhang, Y. and Luo, Y. (2016). “Self-centering eccentrically braced frames using shape memory alloy bolts and post-tensioned tendons,” J. Constructional Steel Research, 125: 190–204.
- Xu, X., Zhang, Y. and Luo, Y. (2016). “Self-centering modularized link beams with post-tensioned shape memory alloy rods,” Engineering Structures, 112: 47–59.
- Zhang, Y. and Bai, L. (2015). “Rapid structural condition assessment using radio frequency identification (RFID) based wireless strain sensor,” Automation in Construction, 54: 1-11.
- Zhang, Y., Shi, F., Song, J., Zhang, X., Yu, S. (2015). “Hearing characteristics of Cephalopods: modeling and environmental impact study,” Integrative Zoology, 10: 141-151.
- Li, R., Zhang, Y. and Tong, L.W. (2014). “Numerical study of the cyclic load behavior of AISI 316l stainless steel shear links for seismic fuse device,” Frontiers of Structural and Civil Engineering, 8(4): 414-426.
- Li, Z. and Zhang, Y. (2014). “Fatigue life prognosis study of welded tubular joints in signal support structures,” International Journal of Steel Structures, 14(2): 281-292.
- Zhou, C. and Zhang, Y. (2014). “Acoustic emission source localization using coupled piezoelectric film strain sensors” J. of Intelligent Material System and Structures, 25(16): 2082-2092.
- Zhou, C. and Zhang, Y. (2014). “Near-field acoustic emission sensing performance of piezoelectric film strain sensor,” Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, 25(1): 1-19. (DOI:10.1080/09349847.2013.810318)
- Li, Z. and Zhang, Y. (2014). “Extreme value theory based structural health prognosis method using reduced sensor data,” Structures and Infrastructure Engineering, 10(8): 988-997. DOI: 10.1080/15732479.2013.774427.
- Hu, X., and Zhang, Y. (2013). “Ductility demand of partially self-centering structures under seismic loading: SDOF systems,” Journal of Earthquake and Structures, 4(4), 365-381.
- Moghaddasi B, N.S. and Zhang, Y. (2013). “Seismic analysis of diagrid structural frames with shear-link fuse devices,” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 12(3), 463-472.
- Bai, L. and Zhang, Y. (2013). “Nonlinear dynamic behavior of steel framed roof structure with self-centering members under transient wind loading,” Engineering Structures, 49(4): 819–830.
- Hu, X., Zhang, Y. and Moghaddasi, N. (2012). “Seismic performance of reinforced concrete frames retrofitted with self-centering hybrid wall,” Advances in Structural Engineering, 15(12): 2139-2151.
- Bai, L. and Zhang, Y. (2012). “Collapse fragility assessment of steel roof framings with force limiting devices under transient wind loading,” Frontiers of Structural and Civil Engineering, 6(3): 199-209. DOI: 10.1007/s11709-012-0168-4.
- Moghaddasi B, N.S., Zhang, Y. and Hu, X. (2012). “Seismic retrofitting of reinforced concrete frame structures using GFRP-tube-confined-concrete composite braces,” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 11(1): 91-105.
- Mercado, M. and Zhang, Y. (2012). “A hybrid simulation testbed for realistic evaluation and characterization of NDE and sensor technology,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, 17(6): 907-920.
- Zhou, C. and Zhang, Y. (2012). “Particle filter based noise removal method for acoustic emission signals,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 28(1-2): 63–77.
- Zhang, Y. and Hu, X. (2010). “Self-centering seismic retrofit scheme for reinforced concrete frame structures: SDOF system study,” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 9(2): 271-283. DOI 10.1007/s11803-010-0012-6.
- Zhang, Y., Hu, X. and Zhu, S. (2009). “Seismic performance of benchmark base isolated bridges with superelastic Cu-Al-Be wire damper,” Structural Control and Health Monitoring, 16: 668-685.
Names in bold font indicate the correspondence author of the paper.