The Traffic Safety and Operations Lab is a joint venture between UMD and the Maryland State Highway Administration focused on the development and application of advanced technologies to address day-to-day congestion and safety needs in highway networks.
Key research areas include:
- Traffic control and operations
- Traffic simulation modeling
- Travel time estimation and prediction systems
- Real-time traffic monitoring and emergency evacuation
- Traffic safety analysis and evaluation
- Intelligent transportation systems
- Innovative highway geometric design and simulation
The research products and capabilities of this lab are used for research as well as teaching and training students.